Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Hey guys!
I'm gonna start off with a story because it's been awhile. So on Tuesday evening, we were at the Stake Center (our church building) doing... something I can't remember why we where there. There was a relief society activity going on, they had done like a potluck. One of the Sisters came out and practically forced us in the relief society room to get some food, even though we had just eaten. And may I just say, that was AWKWARD!
So we go through the line, and really just grab little tidbits here and there to appease the Sisters. At the very end was ice cream. I didn't need any; we had already had a big dessert. So my companion goes for some of it and I just said, "Atta boy, Elder Peterson. Grab some of that ice cream! And THEN he freaking tries to take the scoop he was gonna put on his plate, and put it on my plate! NO! That was not happening! Dad, it  was like green beans at camp Morrison all over again. So, Elder Peterson in effect dumped a scoop of ice cream on the floor in front of the entire relief society!! I was laughing SO hard! It was great!
The other cool thing that happened this week was the Stake I'm in is doing ultimate frisbee on Saturday mornings for the next 2 months almost. We went on this passed week and it was great!  non-member came and we started talking to him and he wants to hang out this week, so we're gonna see what we can make happen.
uuuummmm... my toe is doing good. I wanted to take the stitches out myself but the nursing couple made me go to the urgent care center again... that kind of frustrated me. Oh and Dad there is a book coming your way about... I think it's a WWII story, written by the uncle of the mission nurse. I saw it in their car and asked them to send a copy home so I can read it when I get back. 
We are going to teach a 13 year old named HHHH tonight. She is a friend of one of the members we ate dinner with, the same family that had their dad get up and bear his testimony on how much he enjoyed having us in his home. Fingers crossed!

Hrrrmmmmmm I can't really think of anything else to tell you guys. Part of me, sometimes, might be excited to come home. But don't tell anybody I said that.
I learned something cool in studies today... I wrote about it to Prez so I'm just gonna copy and paste. Dad, btw Prez reminds me of you sometimes. He played rugby for Highland when he was in HS, and Larry Gelwix.
His team has their pic in the end of Forever Strong.


Studies. This morning I had a really good personal study that answered my prayers. I have been praying lately that I have the determination and drive to do all the little things I know I should be doing. The reason I bring that up is because my senior year, running was my life. Anything and everything that I could do to help me become a better runner, I did it, and I didn't let anything get me off track. So as far as dedication goes, running is the standard of comparison for me.
How dedicated am I to my mission versus how dedicated was I to my senior year of running? I've been praying to be able to get the 2 equal and eventually be able to say that my mission is the most dedicated I've ever been to something. But I haven't been able to figure out how to make it happen. This morning I was reading in 1 Nephi 14 and 15. In 15 Nephi has just finished seeing the destruction of his people, and verse 5 says that he was overcome with grief. I think that is the only time that the scriptures ever mention Nephi having a hard time. But as soon as he gets his strength back, he went right back to trying to help out his brothers. The thing that stood out to me is how hard Nephi worked for the rest of his life, even with the knowledge that ultimately nothing he did would save his people. That gave him the perfect excuse to sit down and stop trying at each trial he faced. But he never did. Next to the Savior, Nephi is one of the greatest examples of "not shrinking."

Dad, this week's requested talk is "Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments" by Elder Holland, he gave it as a talk at BYU in 87 or 88.
The reason I ask you to send them to me is because on the ipad pretty much every website other than LDS.org is restricted. So when you send it to me as an attachment I can download it to the ipad.

Alright, I love you guys, I'll send you a message on FB tomorrow about the fenders. Thanks, love you, bye!
Elder Travis Jorgensen

No comments:

Post a Comment