Monday, September 30, 2013

OH MY GOODNESS I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MUCH FREAKING RAIN IN MY LIFE!!!! E-VER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear between Saturday and now it has rained more than Kuna gets in a year. It just doesn't stop! I have been all sorts of grateful this week to be a Spanish Elder with a car... And, thanks to all the rain, I have discovered that my shoes aren't as waterproof as I once thought they were. I would still classify them as somewhat water resistant, but they are definitely wet at the end of each day... but it's all good.












I don't really have that much to update you all on... it's been another long, slow week. We did at least 20 hours of tracting again. We have quite a few people we have found whom have said we can come back, and when we do come back WHEN THEY TOLD US TO (<---- that part might be starting to frustrate me, just a little), they are either gone, or they say they are doing something... so we are going to start getting their phone numbers so we can call them and be obnoxious about it, and hopefully get more appointments. Other than that not much happened this week, every single appointment we set or made fell through...


We did have one answer to prayers. On Wednesday our District leader called us and said there was an investigator moving into our area, ready for baptism. She has been taught all of the lessons multiple times and has been an investigator for like 6 months. So, we stopped by, helped her move in, and talked with her for a little bit. She said she is pretty much ready to be baptized, she just wants to come to the ward a few times and see how it is. She ended up getting sick and bailing, but we are still pretty hopeful about her. She has already seen a miracle; she survived and recovered from a pretty bad stroke. The doctor's diagnosis was that she was going to be a vegetable for the rest of her life, but she is doing just fine.


So, did you guys realize that today is my 2 month mark??? Whooooo!!! It's passed by for me pretty quick at least, I'll be home in no time!!!


So the last name "Jorgensen" is a freaking tongue twister for Hispanics to say.
Even when they hear me say it they can't say it back right. It used to REALLY bug me, A LOT, and I'd just keep going until the learned to say it, but I don't really care that much anymore:) I will either just say "sure" with a big smile to whatever version they come up with, or half the time I introduce myself as Elder Jorge... which they still don't remember. And ironically enough as bad as my name gets butchered here, it still comes nothing close to when XXX XXXX thought my name was "Travis Gargantuan" back in high school...:)




The only other thing I really have to say is that I STILL can't handle hardly any heat with my food. Almost every meal I have ever been served has had some sort of spicy condiment on the side, be it salsa or hot sauce or sometimes the heat is just an unavoidable part of the meal, and I start panting like a dog every time!!! It is my goal to continually try to expose myself to it, in hopes that through these meager efforts I might build up a resistance, and IT ISN'T WORKING!!  And the worst part is that pretty much all of the other Elders in this ward love food that is picante, (hot), so one of them will always ask whoever is serving us dinner "es pico?" (is it hot?) and the response will always be "not very." So I then of course think it means my level of not very spicy, like you can barely tell you are eating it, and fricking just go for it... and burn my mouth off.

 I heard a story of a training companionship in this mission who when the greenie came out, he understood nothing in spanish. So his trainer would always tell the people feeding them dinner to make it mas picante, and his greenie didn't know, but he didn't want to be rude, so he ate everything that was put in front of him. After 2 weeks his insides had pretty much been burned... and he became lactose intolerant! He had to take a pill with every meal he ate... I don't know why I shared that story... I would die if I ate that much spicy food... Elder Cooper has made it his goal to see me eat a habanero whilst we are a companionship... I highly doubt that will happen, but if it does, you guys will most assuredly hear about it!

OH!!! Mom, I have new levels of mad respect for you for being the primary president. MAD respect. Elder Cooper and I taught sharing time yesterday... and I'm pretty sure not a single kid in there learned... anything. Within 10 minutes a game of tag and a couple wrestling matches had broken out, 


 a kid needed help peeing, and Elder Cooper and I had a really firm grip on the proceedings of the hour... or not. The best part was the reason we were teaching was because apparently there was some really good lesson being taught in Relief Society or Priesthood or whatnot, because ALL the adult supervision magically... DISAPPEARED. Elder Cooper and I tried to start things off with a hymn.. "Soy un Hijo de Dios" (I am a Child of God)... Except I can't sing, Elder Cooper can't sing, and the little kids don't know HOW to sing... so I mean that just really set the tone for the rest of the hour.






Mom... Mint Cliff Bars are good, the Chocolate Chip Coconut ones are good (or whatever one has coconut), the Fudge Brownie ones are good, and if you see one you think I'd like, give it a try. I also like Power Bars, Peanut butter Crackers (or the Town house Chocolatey Peanut Butter ones... or any Town House Crackers:) Those salted peanuts that I got from Winco are delicious, Samurai Peanuts are amazing, and so are Sesame sticks. And don't get me wrong, I think I kinda explained this badly last week, I still like candy and all that good stuff too, chips and cookies are good, and the last package you sent me was GREAT, I loved it and am grateful to you guys for it. But I get the muncheez pretty bad some days, and if all I have to eat is sugar, then I eat sugar:) Does that make sense? .AND The actual address of my apartment is 3280 S.W. 170th Ave, Apt 2106, Beaverton, Oregon, 97006.
Oh Mom to answer your question about Cooking... I haven't been doing much of that:) For breakfast I usually make a smoothie because it is quick, healthy and decently filling. I usually throw down some spinach, a couple eggs, some protein powder, some fruit, and some milk. It's pretty good. And for lunch I usually make a sandwich... I am eating wheat bread now...:)

That's all for now.  Love you guys!

Elder Jorgensen

No comments:

Post a Comment